Last weekend I had the incredible opportunity to attend a pediatric feeding course...before I dive into how highly educational and encouraging it was, I first have to tell you how I ended up there.
For last year or so I've been reading and researching different approaches to pediatric feeding disorders and have found the Lord's protection and provision to be absolutely amazing! Without going into great detail, I've learned that the inpatient program we were pushing for does not use the best method for children with sensory/texture issues (which is Ethan). Although it felt like defeat at the time, it was God unfolding his goodness and best for our family...and he even used an insurance company:)
I then ran across a course on-line and felt drawn to it, however its intended audience is professionals. So just to be sure, I called to see if it was okay for a parent to attend. I was initially told no, but two days later the course coordinator called me back and said I could come (miracle 1). Once I told a few people I was going, some frequent flyer miles were donated that completely covered my travel costs (miracle 2). Then after a few more people found out, I was told I had a distant relative that lived in the area. After checking her address and the course location I decided it was too far away for me to stay with her. Then one week before the course I received an email stating the course had been moved to the opposite side of the city. The new location was five blocks from my relative, who provided great hospitality (miracle 3). Then after some checking we found out that the course could be paid for with flexible spending account funds (miracle 4). I think God wanted me to attend, and for what he plans he always provides.
To say I was a little overwhelmed would be a drastic understatement.....I was way out of my league! Sitting in a room of Phd recipients and terminology that was far beyond my normal toddler communications, I started doubting the decision to attend. But at the first break I had a reality check with some Truths and prayed for understanding and application. It came, and I left the two days feeling it was incredibly worth it. I feel I gained understanding on how and why feeding disorders develop, how they are frequently misunderstood and misdiagnosed and an enormous list of resources and practical ideas. I'm excited to spend the next few weeks rehashing and processing all I've learned and working with our medical team on how some of these strategies should be applied.
I left feeling very encouraged that it is possible and very probable our kids will grow out of their need for feeding tubes. The Lord uses those he chooses, and I'm thankful He chose to fill a feeding specialist with knowledge that could be passed on to me. He is good...and I am thankful!
Journeying On,

How wonderfully He works for His children!!
ReplyDeleteIt's been WAY too long since I've visited with you...
ReplyDeleteLove the ways He encouraged you in this...praying that as you wrote...the kiddos will grow out of their need for feeding tubes. Love, K