"Oh great!" I thought. Another kid with feeding problems. At least he's taking his formula by mouth instead of a tube.
Once we met our sweet boy we found they were putting it mildly when they called him a fussy eater:) Turns out the kid doesn't chew....like anything, not even baby puffs. So for the first weeks he was with us in South Africa his diet consisted of bottles, KFC mashed potatoes and gravy, yogurt and cream of wheat.
At first I wanted to be frustrated that we were facing more of the same in regards to eating.
You see my first two never got the whole bottle thing and anytime we were feeding them is was crazy stress to get as much down as possible without it coming back up (hence the tubes). As they got older, we had the same experience with pureed foods. We've cleaned more up off the floor than either of them ate during their first year of life.
Then the Lord gave me a gift, and I never saw it coming. Never even thought to ask for it. He gave me back those milestones that I missed as a momma. In fact, I'm not sure I even realized how much I had missed them until He gave us the gift of Elijah's delayed eating habits.
So now I have a little boy that lets me hold him while he drinks his bottle and opens his mouth wide for a bite of yogurt...And he enjoys it....I enjoy it.
It is a gift!
I know he won't be dependent on bottles and purees forever, but I'm so thankful God sees me. That He knows what I need and desire far better than I know myself.
Elijah has already made some tremendous strides in eating, and it has been exciting to watch him learn and experiment.
Some self feeding
chowing down some graham crackers
working on his chewing:)
Journeying On,

This is precious - reminds me of the verse that says He will restore to you the years the locusts have eaten. God is so good!
ReplyDeleteKelly Love