December 10, 2011

Biopsy Results

It was taking a little longer than I wanted it to. So, when we hadn't heard anything about Ethan's bone marrow biopsy last Friday (12/2), I e-mailed the office coordinator the following Thursday (12/8).  I know, I'm not very patient.  But I knew they had to have the results back by then since it only took about 36hrs to process in the lab.  The coordinator said she would check with our doctor to make sure it was ok for her to give us the results.

I received an email later that afternoon stating that Ethan's marrow showed no leukemia (huge praise!!) and that the number of cells with MDS/Monosomy 7 was about 10% (about the same as his last biopsy in August).  They want to continue his monthly blood work and repeat a biopsy in 3-4 months.

All of that to say that we still don't really have any answers. Doctors are uncertain why his levels went down, and have stayed down.  One possible explanation is that the partial immune suppressant therapy he received in July (when he was being treated for Aplastic Anema), allowed his marrow to "reset" and make mostly healthy cells to sustain his body.  However, they aren't sure, because patients with MDS/Monosomy 7 are not usually treated with immune suppressant therapy.  Another, very likely explanation is that God has provided an unusual season of health and rest for our family.  He has given Ethan great strength and joy...




...and we are so humbled, and thankful to be where we are.

I was reminded by the doctor we saw Friday at Vanderbilt that they still fully expect him to need a transplant at some point.  We don't know if they would give him the immune suppressant therapy again, just to see if it would lower his percentage again or not; we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  The same doctor also reminded me that Ethan is a ticking time bomb for leukemia, and there is no way to predict when it might happen.

For now, we'll take these new, but same results with gratitude.  There is comfort in the familiar.  Thankful for the three months of health and strength Ethan has had, while praying for more months.  We'll take each day, one at a time, trusting God to sustain Ethan.  It is certainly a battle of the heart and mind to speak this Truth to my heart each day, but I have to because joy is at stake. And to have true joy and peace from Jesus Christ is worth me giving up my worries.

Thank you for rejoicing and praying!!  Hoping there is time in heaven for us to sit down with each of you and truly express our gratitude:)

Journeying On,


2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing. My heart is rejoicing with yours, and I'm asking the Lord for peace for each day. The pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this update...
    So thankful for these results.
    One. day. at. a. time. clinging. to. Him.

    ReplyDelete