January 25, 2012

Matters of the Heart

I wouldn't say we are in the terrible two's; we have some battles, but they aren't terrible.  What is terribly heart breaking is watching my kids sit and weigh the consequences of disobedience and obedience then choose disobedience.  Yesterday both of my kids were sitting at their little table coloring; I was secretly watching from around the corner.  I watched my sweet, innocent full of sin nature, little girl look at the crayon in her hand, then at the wall.  She walked to the wall, pointed to it and told herself "no,no".  She turned to go back to the table, but she couldn't resist the temptation.  The wall met its match and lost (thankful for washable crayons).  Discipline followed and then I thought....


It's not a matter of knowing; of head knowledge.  Its a heart issue.  My kids know what is right and wrong (most of the time), but sometimes their hearts still choose the wrong.  But let me not be quick to judge.  My mind knows, even my heart knows.  But I hate that I still choose the wrong.  I know God desires me to be full of patience, compassion and grace, but my heart doesn't always respond this way.  Learning much from the little people in my house this week.

Addison doesn't just have a spiritual issue of the heart, she a physical issue of the heart.  It's been there since birth.  We've always known about it.  Although sometimes I must admit I have forgotten about it because there are no outward symptoms.  But there is still a heart issue there, and its time for it to be addressed.  So next week Addison with have a heart cath procedure to close the small hole (PDA).  She's schedule for first thing Tuesday morning and will spend the night to monitored and receive IV antibiotics.  The recovery is quick; able to return to normal activities the next day.  Even though its a textbook procedure that is done all the time, we would greatly appreciate your prayers.  We don't want to take God's protective, healing hand for granted in the lives of our children; and we desire even more over the next week.

Journeying On,

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post! Love your thoughts about knowing with your head and heart, and still making the wrong choice. We all do. I'll be thinking about you all as the doctors work to fix the physical problem with her little heart. <3 I love reading your blog, just so you know! :-)

    ReplyDelete